Hard Drive Shredding
The ONLY place in San Diego for
certified drop-off hard drive shredding
Watch While You Wait!
3584 Hancock St
San Diego, CA 92110
(behind the San Diego Sports Arena)
Hours of Operation
Mon to Fri: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 1:00pm
Please check our blog for Holiday closures (click here)
"The HOLY GRAIL for Identity Fraud is Your Computers HARD DRIVE!"
This simple solution will keep your information out of the hands of Identity Thieves...
Hi Mike Here, Head Shredding Guy over at Total Secure Shredding, Inc.
I've been shredding your paper documents over the years and the question comes up again and again about what to do with hard-to-destroy items such as Hard Drives. (I guess there's a reason they call them "Hard" drives!)
My Paper Shredding equipment is basically meant to only handle... you guessed it... Paper.
But, these Hard Drives must be destroyed before disposal...
WARNING: Deleting Files or Reformatting Your Hard Drive Does Not Protect The Information You Have On Your Hard Drive. Neither Does Dropping It On The Ground Or Placing It In Water!
These Hard Drives have same kind of Sensitive Personal Information as any Paper Document and we all know that these Paper Documents must be shredded.
I've gone back and forth on the best way to get rid of these hard drives.
- I've seen machines that basically punch a whole through a hard drive and bend up the data platters held within the hard drive.
- There are ways to overwrite the information that's currently on the hard drive with new information that will make your personal information unreadable.
- And there there's degaussing methods that erase all the sensitive information on your hard drive.
All these different methods may work perfectly fine when it comes to destroying the information on your hard drive...
But would you feel 100% satisfied with any of these methods?
Don't Take A Chance!
I wouldn't... and that's my test before I offer any data destruction service to any customer...
If I'm not 100% comfortable with the process, I'm not at all comfortable with offering the process to a customer - PERIOD!
The only way I'd be happy with getting rid of one my personal hard drives would be to run it through a shredder where the end result is a bunch of pieces.
And this is Very Important... once the hard drive platters have been cut into two or more pieces, the chance anyone can get your information is zero!
When we lost the Space Shuttle Columbia in that horrible disaster, NASA was able to contract with a third party to recover a lot of data (99%) from one of Columbia's hard drives even though the electronics within were burnt almost beyond recognition.
The thing about the hard drive from the Columbia was that the platters (the things that hold the data) were basically not damaged. The researchers were able to clean off the debris, re-align them with a new motor, and pull a couple hundred megabytes of information off the drive.
But trust me... I've confirmed this with Forensic Digital Experts... the cost of recovering data from hard drive plates that are in pieces is a Painstaking and Expensive process - upwards of Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars.
Remember the Columbia Hard Drive Platters were in one piece and in relatively good shape compared to the rest of the hard drive.
NOTE: The Columbia Hard Drive fell from a Few Thousand Feet into a dried up lake bed and that didn't prevent the information from being recovered!
Hard Drive Platters that are Scratched, Deformed, and in Pieces are a whole nother story - which is exactly what happens when we run your hard drive through our shredder!
That's why I'm 100% Convinced that running your hard drive through our shredder is 100% Safe and Secure.
Not only that... My Hard Drive Shredding Service offers you the same great Security as our other shredding services:
- Guarantee your Hard Drives are destroyed to your satisfaction by supervising (Witnessing) the entire evolution in person from our personal viewing window.
- Completely open to "Walk-In" traffic from Residential and Commercial Customers... No job is too small or too big and No Appointment is Necessary.
- Spend dollars locally as we are a Locally Owned & Operated Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business certified by the State of California.
- Rest assured that your Hard Drives are in safe hands as I demand that all my employees have passed Complete Background Checks, this includes Employment History Verification, Initial & Random Annual 7 year Criminal Record Search, Initial and Regular Drug Screenings.
- Being Ex-Military, Trust Me When I Say Our Uniforms Are Unique: I go to great expense enforcing a strict uniform policy that Endears Confidence and Professionalism to all our customers.
- Along with uniforms, all employees have a Photo I.D. Badge displayed at all times indicating their Name, Position, and of course, The Total Secure Shredding Logo! My technicians are held accountable for their performance and it's important you know who you're dealing with - By Name.
- Ensuring a standard of customer service, whether it’s a Fortune 500 Company or an Individual Residence, the Policies and Procedure Manual (Signed By All Employees) I’ve been able to put in place keeps your needs and budget in mind without sacrificing security.
- Fort Knox Like Security... Breathe Easy knowing all Hard Drives are shredded by my fully screened employees in our completely secure facility (24/7 Alarm & Video Camera Monitored) .
- Internal Audit Accountability: Work-In-Process forms are created for any Hard Drives you didn't witness destruction that track your Hard Drives through the destruction process. At completion, the forms are routed for final check-off concluding in a Certificate of Destruction sent out to you. This Fully Auditable Process ensures I know when your Hard Drives were Received, when they were Destroyed, and when they were Recycled.
- Free Certificate of Destruction immediately provided if you witness the destruction of your Hard Drives or a Certificate will be mailed or emailed to you for un-witnessed destruction.
- Contribute to a Healthier Renewable Environment by knowing we recycle as much of what we shred as possible.
Whoops... Let Me Back Up One Moment...
All this talk about Hard Drive Destruction assumes you have some idea about what a Hard Drive is and that you'll know how to get it out of your computer in order to bring it in for Destruction.
A Hard Drive is that component within your computer (laptop, desktop, or server) that holds all your critical information that you need and access on a daily basis.
Basically any computer, including smart phones and PDA's, has some sort of Hard Drive (or equivalent) that stores data.
And that Hard Drive must be destroyed before you get rid of that old computer.
If that leaves you scratching your head, just bring us your old computer and we will handle the rest.
We will remove & shred your Hard Drive and then recycle rest of the computer for you.
Once all that done, we'll send you a Certificate of Destruction - Very Simple!
Did I mention you can watch your hard drives get shredded...
While You Wait!
That's right, bring your hard drives down to us and we'll shred them for you so you can watch.
Finally, just because the security of your information is my greatest concern, we annotate the serial number of each hard drive we shred and keep that serial on record in a secure database.
This is important for a few reasons:
- If you believe you had a hard drive shredded with us and that hard drive ever shows up again, we can quickly track down the serial number of all hard drives shredded and the date shredded.
- If you ever want to ship hard drives to out facility for secure shredding,
- Annotate each hard drive's serial number prior to shipment;
- When you receive our confirmation including serial numbers, you can then match up your list and our list;
- Provides full proof that we received the entire shipment and it has been securely destroyed.
- This is all the proof you'll need to ensure you're completely in compliance with HIPAA and HITECH.
Here's how it works...
Load up all your hard drives and computers, bring it down during business hours, or, if you'd like, give us a call to set up an appointment to have us come out to you and pickup - That's It... pretty simple!
Here's the address and hours for drop-off:
Total Secure Shredding, Inc.
3584 Hancock St.
San Diego, CA 92110
(right behind the San Diego Sports Arena)
click here for directions
Mon-Fri: 10am to 5pm • Saturday: 10am to 1pm
... and get a quote on the Most Secure and Affordable Hard Drive Shredding you'll find anywhere in the nation.
Here's our contact phone number:
Local: (619) 295-5474
Toll Free: (800) 536-4832
Remember, your information and your client's information is on your computer and the only way to make sure your sensitive information is destroyed properly, is the have your hard drive destroyed by a professional.
I look forward to seeing you down at out facility.
Keep Totally Secure,
CEO & President
Total Secure Shredding, Inc.